The following text comes from Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay. The questions were listed by President McKay to be used as a guideline for Bishops to determine worthiness and readiness of potential missionaries. I altered the questions to be in the first person for my lesson.
- Do I have sufficient will power to resist temptation?
- Have I kept myself clean and by that standard proved myself capable of resisting possible temptation in the field?
- Have I taken active part in Church organizations?
- Do I at least glimpse what the Church has to offer the world?
- Have I glimpsed that the Church is the greatest thing in the world, and the only authorized group to represent the Lord Jesus Christ in the salvation of mankind?
- Have I, through prayer, or experience, felt God’s nearness to me, so that I can approach the Lord as I would my earthly father?
- Am I worthy to represent the Church? (DOM pps.53-55)
Missionary Preparedness Questionnaire:
“Every member of the Church should be converted and have a knowledge of the gospel, including a knowledge of the scriptures. How wonderful it would be if every member of the Church could, as Peter of old, ‘Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you.'(1 Peter 3:15)” (DOM p.52, emphasis added)
“If you will have your testimonies strengthened, to have it revealed to you now individually that Christ is aiding you in your work, guiding his Church, well, the best way to do that is … doing your duty, … attending to missionary work.” (DOM, p.57)
Responsibility and Representation
“..the responsibility rests upon the membership of the Church to preach the restored gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue and people.” (DOM p.52)
“First, [missionaries] represent their parents, carrying the responsibility of keeping their good name unsullied. Second, they represent the Church, specifically the ward in which they live. And third, they represent the Lord Jesus Christ, whose authorized servants they are. (DOM p.56)
“The world is hungry to hear the truth as never before in its history. We have it. Are we equal to the task—to the responsibility God has placed upon us?” (DOM p.52)
2 handouts per 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet, 1/2 sheet landscape, black and white
Download Printable File
Click on the links below to download: