Submitted by: Chuck Kipp
Added: September 7, 2007
Duration: 10 to 30 minutes
Goal: Unscramble the words to get as many points as possible. You can use this game for scripture mastery or to introduce concepts, etc.
? List of words to unscramble ? this is a great web page that will scramble words for you:
once you type in the word, copy and paste the scrambled word into a text editor ? make sure that you also type the correct spelling of the word next to the unscrambled word!
On the web page, I use ?full scramble? instead of ?preserve first and last?.
Chalkboard or whiteboard for keeping score
? Award the team one point for each word they successfully unscramble
How To Play:
1. Divide into 2 or more teams
2. QUICKLY write the scrambled word on the chalkboard and go to the first team for their response
3. After 5 or 10 seconds, if the first team hasn’?t figured out the word, move to the second team.
4. If they are stumped after a few rounds, write the first letter of the correctly spelled word underneath the scrambled word. Then the last letter, then the second letter, etc.
5. It must be their team?s turn for them to receive points for unscrambling the word ? no yelling out. This keeps the ?smarties? at bay.
– I have used this game to introduce gospel concepts. For example, the word that they unscramble could be ?restoration?. The team that wins is then asked to read a passage from the scriptures and share their thoughts about it with the class. Use the next scrambled word to introduce the next concept.
– If you use this for scripture mastery, you could have them chase for the scripture once the key word is given. Give one point to the team that guesses the keyword and one point to the team that finds the scripture mastery reference first.