Submitted by: Chuck Kipp
Added: September 7, 2007
Duration: 10 to 30 minutes
Goal: Be the first team to try to determine which Scripture Mastery card the teacher is holding using ?yes or no? questions. When the correct reference is given, be the first team to have your scriptures open to the reference.
? Scripture Mastery Cards ? Use the cards on Bro. Kipp?s Seminary Place or use the cards provided by CES
? Scriptures for each student
? Chalkboard or whiteboard for score tally
? 1 point is given to the team that correctly identifies the scripture mastery reference on the card.
? 1 point is given to the team that has their scriptures open to the reference on the card
How To Play:
1. The teacher picks a card from the Scripture Mastery card deck, ensuring that no one else in the class can see it. The teacher holds the card in his/her hand.
2. Start with Team 1 ? they ask a ?yes or no? question. The teacher answers the question and Team 1 now has 5 seconds to try to guess the reference.
If the team asks a non ?yes or no? question, the teacher does not answer the question and says, ?Try again?.
3. Move to Team 2 ? repeat Step 2
4. When a team guesses the correct reference, the teacher immediately shows the card to the class and says, ?Go!?
5. At this point, all students should be looking for the reference in their scriptures.
6. The teacher is looking for the first team with their scriptures open to the reference with ?both? hands in the air.
7. Award one point to the team that correctly guessed the reference on the card and one point to the team that found the reference first.
8. The teacher then picks a new card from the deck and begins the round with Team 2.
Encourage your students to ask broad questions at first to try to narrow in on the reference. Some examples are:
– Is it before Job in the Old Testament?
– If you are using Brother Kipp?s Scripture Mastery cards, the cards are colored red or blue by row. The students could ask,
– ?Is it in a blue row??
– Does the reference have a 2 in it?
Once the card has been used, don?t put it back in the deck. This helps the students find the next reference more quickly.
Encourage the students to turn to specific references throughout the game as a team. This may better their chance of getting the second point for chasing.