The original Magic Squares document by Janice Lee Griffith Tate is available at the old http://si.lds.org/ in the CES Conferences Section under Old Testament. Here’s a link:
Problem is, the motions that go with the magic square are not described in the handout. I have a copy of one that a friend gave me, and I have created this handout that includes text to describe the actions.
You should also know that I have changed a couple of the original rhyming phrases to match the handout I received, notably:
– OLD: “His face I see”
– NEW: “Face to face spake He”
– Why? Now includes a keyphrase from the verse, ‘face to face.’
1 Samuel 26
– OLD: “His heart is seen”
– NEW: “My heart is seen”
– Why? Personalizes the verse. You could also use “Our hearts are seen”
– OLD: “My Redeemer I’ll be seeing”
– NEW: “In flesh I’ll be seen”
– Why? Scripture uses word ‘God’, not ‘Redeemer.’ Fixes the rhyme and uses the keyword ‘flesh’.
– OLD: “Elijah restores more”
– NEW: “Hearts turn for sure”
– This change was suggested by the anonymous source of the actions. The new version hints at the key words better.
– I changed the action description to be the ASL word for trust instead of “two fists, knuckles to knuckles, with a single shake, head slightly bowed”
You can use the old or new versions — these just happen to be the actions and phrases I’m teaching my class. The blank magic squares handout is so that you can practice the magic squares during class.
UPDATED VIDEO by Sister Tate for 2015:
Attached to this post are the OLD and NEW Magic Squares. Make sure you’re using the correct one (the JPG is new).