Camp Tools Contest
Develop talents by learning and demonstrating camping skills. Strengthen families by-
1. Inviting family members to observe the contest.
2. Asking fathers to be the judges.
Young Women Area of Focus
Recreation and the world of nature-
by developing life-preservation skills.
by strengthening family relaÂtionships by inviting family members to observe the contest.
People who can help
Site for the contest
Wood for cutting
How to do it
1. Write the rules for each event. Give these rules to the youth several weeks before the meet.
2. Review and emphasize safety rules.
3. Assign judges for each event.
4. Consider the following events for use in the meet. Judge for safety and speed.
a. Chop a 6-inch (15cm) log into four pieces.
b. Chop a 12-inch (30cm) log into two pieces.
c. Using the two-man saw, saw a 6-inch (15cm) log into four pieces.
d. Using the two-man saw, saw a 4-inch (10cm) log into two pieces.
e. Using a hand saw, saw a 4-inch (10cm) log into four pieces.
f. Chop a 6-inch (15cm) log into eight pieces.
g. Use a knife to make a tent peg, fuzz stick, and a spoon.
5. At the end of the contest have a ceremony and present awards to the winners.
From “The Activity Book”, Camping, pp 157-171. available from Church Distribution for $6.00.