SIMPLE LESSON (easier for JR):
It’s back to school time! Did you know that sometimes someone who likes to read a lot is called a bookworm? Well, today I brought all of these books and I’m going to need super singers to help me find bookworms! The bookworms will tell us what song to sing.
- Have paper worms sticking out of a stack of books
- Child chooses a book worm
- The worm tells us what and how to sing.
— Oh yeah! Did I forget to tell you?! These are WIGGLY BOOKWORMS! We are going to sing the song and do actions, too! —
CROSSWORD ACTIVITY (more challenging element added for Senior Primary):
*Beforehand I used the Discovery crossword maker to make a crossword puzzle with our 2013 program songs. I transposed the crossword onto the board so everyone could see it (this was harder to do than I thought it would be, but it’s doable for sure).
- Call a class up, they pick a wiggly bookworm out of the stack of books
- The bookworm has a clue number on it (that corresponds to the crossword on the board). Class reads the clue.
- Kids answer the clue and write it on the board. (fyi, having the children help me spell the word letter by letter helped keep them engaged in the activity)
- Sing that song wiggly the way written on that bookworm
songs+wiggly worm movement examples:
Teach Me to Walk in the Light – walk to the beat
I Am Like a Star – star fingers
My Heavenly Father Loves Me – song actions we learned
I Pray in Faith – lap, clap, snap
Holding Hands Around the World – march to the beat
When I Am Baptized – paint brushes
If The Savior Stood Beside Me – clap rhythm
Families Can Be Together Forever – clap beat
I Am a Child of God (4 verses) – 1face front, 2turn to side, 3face back, 4other side
- Cut out worms
- Gather books
- crossword prep
- Song list & the wiggly ways to sing the songs
- This activity went well, WOULD do it again.
- SR appreciated the extra activity and extra “challenge”. Although not required. Could just do the simpler activity for both JR and SR.
- Was good as a review of all 11 program songs. Extended time is required if doing it for that many songs.
- I thought the worms might rip. And they did. Keep tape handy just in case.
- Thought JR was going to lose interest, but there was enough movement to keep them engaged.
- SR can get a little crazy when doing a wiggly/movement activity (at least that how it is in my SR). Relax discipline a little bit accordingly when planning a wiggly activity.